We put our home FSBO and started looking at houses w/ our wonderful realtor, Dianne. After 5 months we pulled it off the market because I was about ready to deliver, Matt didn't want to commute through the winter and took a job in NY and it was just a daunting thought to sell.
The following May (2009), KT was 7 months old and we decided to start looking into selling again. Matt's VT job wanted him back, so he took it. We listed our home with a realtor and in doing that we discovered that we had no deeded rights to the well we had been using for 5 years. There was no way we could sell like that!! So we had to put a new well in.
14 showings and 1 crummy offer later we finally got a good offer on the house in February 2010!! We were so excited!! We moved into a rental my parents own in April and closed on the house then as well. What a relief that was!
We made 2 offers on homes here in VT in April. Both homes were very old (100+) and needed a lot of renovating, but the market is such in VT that we were sure that was our "lot". Both offers were rejected with the owners wanting exactly their asking price... or more. It was very odd to encounter that in today's market.
In May we decided to look at a house that hadn't really been of interest to us, but it was in the town we wanted to be in and was big enough for us so we grudgingly went... and fell in love. We tried to make an offer on it, but it had just gone into auction. We tried to make a pre-auction offer, but by the time Fannie Mae processed our paperwork it was too late. (It was "owned" by Fannie Mae at the time) So we ended up going to the auction on June 14th. I posted about the auction earlier, so won't bother w/ the details, but in short we won! We had 30 days to close.
July 13th rolls around and our closing is supposed to be the 14th. I get a call from our lender saying there is a problem on the seller's end w/ paperwork and we wouldn't be closing after all. In the end there were a lot of problems on the seller's end w/ paperwork:
- Fannie Mae's name was not on the title, therefore they could not sell the house. They had to request a quitclaim deed from Nationwide Advantage Mortgage, whose name was on the title.
- Fannie Mae was supposed to provide our lender with the amount that the previous owner owed on it and they couldn't seem to cough up this $.
- There was another problem on the title that had nothing to do w/ Fannie Mae, but a property transfer done almost 15 years ago.
- Fannie Mae didn't want to pay the water and electric bills that were due. It was their job and in the end they did, but they fussed about it.
All of that had to be straightened out and it took them 7 weeks to resolve. It was A LOT of hassle for our lender, our attorney and ourselves. In the end we finally closed yesterday and you could almost hear an audible sigh of relief from all present in the room. So I'm up early this morning in eager anticipation of our move today! I'm so excited and so ready to be settled at last. 2.5 years of house hunting/selling our old home/ buying a new one has finally come to an end.