Monday, February 3, 2014

The One with Confessions of a Random Co-sleeper

     I told a friend recently that I only co-slept with my babies for 6-9 months.  And that was true. Co-sleeping made life easier when they were small infants, but as they grew and would wake up to every noise I made, it was time for them to sleep on their own.  However, our room stayed open for little ones who were restless.

     Last night we heard the tell tale signs of our youngest coming in our room.  First the pitter patter of her little feet as she sleepily stumbled down the hall.  Then the twist of the doorknob followed by a body slam into the door. (She never twists it quite enough on the first sleepy try. ) This was followed by a stronger twist of the doorknob and then the door swung open and we heard her little voice, "I just wanna snuggle you, Mom." And voila! She was back in our bed, co-sleeping again.

     There is something sweet about the random co-sleeping.  I am not the kind of person who could take it every night. I need my space!  There are times I get touched out from the snuggles and just need some room, but the random nights are nice.  I love seeing her there next to me, all sweet and angelic.  I've kissed away any bad dreams that may have prompted the need for snuggles and she's tucked in warm and safe with us until she decides to head back to her bed after a few hours. That is the type of co-sleeping I enjoy. 

1 comment:

zekesmom10 said...

Dave used to come in randomly. But as he got bigger, it was much less pleasant. When he was 7 or 8, I said he could put his sleeping bag next to my bed and sleep there. It wasn't worth the effort to him and he stopped after a few times. It was bitter-sweet. It's very rare any of the other yahoos come in. They don't stay for long either.