Thursday, September 18, 2014

The One Where I Miss My Hubby

It has finally happened.  We have reached the point in our lives that all the old-timers at our wedding warned us about. "Life will get very busy with jobs and kids. You have to carve out time for each other," was quipped to us more than once in the early years of our marriage.  I thought we would be different from everyone else.  After all, I am a stay at home Mom...my husband worked one job... and I would just make sure the children didn't get involved in many activities outside of the home.

Fast forward fourteen years and those old-timers would just smile with a kind "I told you so" look. Now hubby is working three jobs, I am working one part time and in college full time. We are balancing homeschooling our handful of kiddos between jobs, ballet runs, piano lessons, church activities, and other music fun the children participate in.

Our story is the same ol' story that most families experience at this point. Maybe not the 4 jobs thing, but the busy schedules of running around and rarely seeing each other except for a quick peck on the cheek as one of us runs out the door, swapping kid duty with the one who just came in the door. 

It's hard to stay connected in the craziness of life, but one of the best tools we have to stay connected is our phones. I know people pshaw at them, but there's nothing that makes my day more than a quick text, "Hey babe, just wanted to say I love you."  Or being able to chat while he is on dinner break and I am taking a break from schoolwork. Or those rare times when we are home and want to have a private conversation, but there are children around... yep... we pull out the phones and text, even if we are sitting side by side on the couch.

Nothing makes up for quality time together, though. We work on catching a few moments here and there and carving out time for each other. But for this season of life, I am thankful that we still have a way to stay connected.

No comments: