Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The One About Changes

This year I have actually set goals and want to make some changes in my life. I usually throw the idea of resolutions right out the window, but I felt like setting some realistic goals for myself this year. These are MY personal goals. We also have family goals set.

Devotions at least a few times/week
Loose 25 lbs or more
Read 40 books

All of these are do-able and definitely worth it.

Another change I've made goes along the lines of my previous chore post. I've thrown most of our scheduling out the window and have put the children in charge of their day in a way. Meals/Snacks are still at the same time & I do have to dictate when we do school... but I've let them take control of when they do their chores & play times. IF they want computer/ TV time they must complete their chores for the day before they can do that. If they don't want those times, the only stipulation on chores is that it's done by bed time. OR if I ask them to put their clothes away or unload the dishwasher cause i need to load it, etc. SO far so good. Even James, who I struggle so much with, is excelling at it and I think it's because he feels like he is in charge... and he is. He's learning that if he wants to do the fun stuff, he needs to work first, which is what we all need to learn, right? :)

I also had a big epiphany about parenting. This has come through conversations with friends over the past few weeks. I know it may not seem like a big deal and many may disagree with me... but I am feeling so strongly lately that where your heart is is the most important thing in parenting. Each family needs to choose what works best for them & what their belief system is. As long as you are seeking the Lord and following what He has given in your heart you are doing the right thing. (Short of abuse, of course... but if you are abusing you aren't following the Lord's heart) I think that you can use punitive discipline in a loving manner w/ the right heart. You can also use positive discipline in a loving manner w/ the right heart. What matters most is the heart behind it.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I'm with you on the weightloss. But you already know that. I've also resolved to watch my tone of voice and get off my butt (in all aspects of life.)

melissa said...

I think your idea for chores sounds great! on the punitive/positive discipline part, I've found that when I am in tune with the Lord I act more like He is, kind, compassionate, long-suffering, slow to anger etc. I think that is what is most important that we act like He would and I honestly don't believe punitive punishment fits in that. However I do agree with you that it is important to respect everyones right to choose! That's why I just post ideas and people are free to take it or leave it!