Wednesday, November 11, 2009

One With More On Whole Foods

So, like everything in life, switching to a whole foods diet is going to come slowly. It's going to come in spurts and as we can financially. I have chosen to spend a little extra $ on whole grain pastas and flour, which sacrifices some of the quicker snack items and bread I usually get. It may have to change some weeks when I know how busy life will get.

Anyway... tonight's experiment is with apple pie. Crust made with white whole wheat flour (I know, not ideal, but still better than white) & instead of 1 c. sugar I put in 1/2 c. honey along with the apples, cinn, etc. Will let you know how it turns out. ;)

Dinner is hot pockets!! Before you think anything negative... they are homemade and a recipe from my "Naturally Healthy Cuisine" book. I made & froze 2 doz on Monday and am reheating them for dinner. I took whole wheat bread dough and put different toppings in them. The kids liked theirs dipped in pizza sauce (also homemade). Mine had chicken/broccoli/cheese so not so good w/ the pizza sauce.

I think the key to switching to eating more healthy is that I have to make it feasible for us. I can't cook things the family won't like or it will become a battle. I can't only make things that take all day to cook or it'll become impossible. And I can't completely rule out home baked cookies and other goodies or it'll become boring.

I keep thinking of this when it comes to eating (and many, many other areas of my life right now): Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.

1 comment:

Janeen said...

I have some recipes for things like cookies if you are interested. I know the one for honey, peanut butter cookies are pretty good and a few of the other ones are probably good too, just haven't tried them yet. Let me know if you are interested.