Friday, July 16, 2010

The One About Oak Meadow

The school year is almost upon us and for the first time since I started homeschooling I feel nervous. Why? Because I'm doing something so completely different than I have ever done before as the teacher or the student. It's as close to unschooling as I'm comfortable to go & so far from the textbooks that we've used so far. I am excited and looking forward to this, but I'm also so nervous that they won't learn as much or as well as I hope they do.

We're going to use Oak Meadow (www.oakmeadow.com) The idea behind their curriculum is making learning interesting to children. To focus on what they enjoy & like and be completely integrated into every part of their learning. So much different then plopping them down at the table w/ textbooks where they have to do 2-4 pages in each book. This takes learning to the next level... lots of hands on and game playing and very literature based. I orginally got it with Nathan in mind. He is going into the 3rd grade and is most definitely a hands on learner. I thought it might make it easier for us than the daily battles we dealt with while doing A Beka. Easier, more interesting & he'll learn more if he's enjoying it.

But I'm nervous... I hope it works out ok.

No comments: